- Compost :
Municipal solid waste is suitable for composting because of the presence of high percentage of biodegradable organic matter, satisfactory moisture content and C/N ratio in the waste.The recycling of organic residues results in the formation of compost which is a highly valued and cost effective organic fertilizer.
MSW Refused derived fuel acts as a best substitute to fossil fuels like coal,wood because of its better emission and burning characteristics at lower cost as compared to other fossil fuels.Advantages of RDF as fuel:
– Better Emission and burning characteristics
– Most preferable fuel because of its low cost as compared to other fossil fuels.
– High burning Efficiency because of consistent quality.
– Uniform combustion compared to coal and wood.
- Recyclable Plastics and metal:
Different methods are opted to separate plastics and metal in the Municipal Solid Waste.
Plastics is roughly classified into light and heavy plastic. Light plastic is segregated through an Air Density Separator (ADS) and heavy plastic is segregated manually. Whereas the metal present in the MSW lot is segregated with the help of magnetic separators. Any material that remains after the separation of metals and plastics is further sent for landfilling